Thursday, July 26, 2012

Steve (Harleyrider) Jackson.

My friend, Steve Jackson (Harleyrider) passed away yesterday. Although I only met him once at Burrs last year, Steve and me often shared our thoughts and jokes over several years on bonsai forums. Steve made a huge impression on me in that time with his sarcastic,quick, inteligent sense of humour, writing ability and enthusiasm for little trees. Native trees seemed to light him up and I passed on one of my English Elms to Steve when I met Tony Tickle at the Joy of Bonsai in 2010.    
Steve in action and always keen to help out. (Photo courtesy of Morea Pubben)
The two following pictures courtesy of Tony Tickle
Steve spent a lot of time with Tony and the articles Steve made on Tony's trees and exploits were superbly written and very funny.
Shortly before the tragic news came that Steve had passed, I had been working on this English Elm (Ulmus Minor) over a couple of evenings and knew how much Steve like this specie.

I have to dedicate this tree to his memory. Steve was a huge inspiration for me and will be sorely missed by his family and friends.
To Steve Jackson. Rest in peace.
Potted into a much larger vessel for development of the air layered roots. They are still thin in comparison to the trunk and need weight and age. In turn the top will develop much more quickly as well
An Elm called Steve.
Summer 2013

Now the wire has been removed and a light trim. I may plant it in the ground to speed this trees development. The back branches are very small indeed and need to put on some serious thickness. The split branch on the left has also been sawn and pulled down further with the aim being to root it at soil level. I will bend it further once the branch has gained strength.










                                                                                                                                              

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here Will, here here. Such a tragic sudden sad sad loss.
    RIP Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fitting tribute will. We will celebrate Steve's life at Burrs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm sure steve would appreciate all your tributes. I am Steve's 'little bro' as he used to call me. I have enjoyed looking into Steve's hobby and passion, and reading his witty blog posts. I would appreciate it if anybody has any photos or anything of any relevance of Steve doing what he loved best, could you please pass them onto me or i'm sure Tony Tickle would be happy to pass them on.

    Many Thanks
    Dave (proud brother of Harley Rider)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello David and condolences to you and your family. I have passed your message on to all concerned.
    Kind regards Will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Will, much appreciated.

      Its Steve's funeral on Friday 3rd August, if anybody needs details please dont hesitate to ask. Hope to see you there

      Delete